Losing weight can seem daunting. Especially when you are looking at thirty pounds or more. This post is about how to do it safely and how to keep it off. Here are 5 tips that work.
1. Eat more veggies - The digestion of veggies are much slower than things like refined carbs. The result? You feel full longer and there are a number of health benefits to eating veggies. And, as I always tell my clients, you can eat as many veggies as you want. The calorie count is very low.
2. Do more cardio - Cardio helps burn fat and strengthens your heart. Three cardio sessions per week can help increase your weight loss in addition to making you feel great. I don't mean hours of cardio either. Interval training, TABATA training and sessions for 30 minutes or less will all get you where you need to go.
3. Eat more protein - Protein satiates you. Your body digests it slowly, keeping your full longer making you less likely to overeat. Protein also helps build muscle. The more muscle you have the faster your metabolism, the easier it is to lose weight and maintain that weight loss.
4. Weight Train - Weight training builds muscle, muscle speeds your metabolism and a fast metabolism aids in weight loss.
5. Practice Mindful Eating - Eat slowly. Don't eat while watching tv. Pay attention to fullness. Studies have shown that being aware of what you are eating leads to weight loss in 68% of individuals in those studies.
How much weight should I expect to lose each week? My clients and I set a goal of 1-2lbs per week, or 1% of total body weight per week. Stay away from the fad diets, cleanses and "latest greatest" weight loss diets. Those who keep the weight off do it by changing their lifestyle. Otherwise, the minute you go off some of these restrictive diets most gain the weight back and then some. So be consistent, be disciplined and be realistic.
Need some guidance to kick start your weight loss for 2020? I have 15 years of in home training experience. If you are a male or female 50 plus, I would love to help! Give me a call or send me an email for more info! Jeannine@fittothecore.com 610.513.4879